Yes, it's true. I'm due late August (this summer will be a blast I'm sure.) I told family and coworkers about a month ago so it hasn't been super secret, but it IS nice to finally get it out in the open. I wanted to make sure things looked okay at my 2nd appointment before I said anything. They did so I am.
This is my first pregnancy so those of you working on your second (or third...or even fourth) might find me a bit naive, but it has been totally different than I had expected it would be. I thought I would sum up the great things and not so great things.
Not-so-great:
- I've had maybe 5 nights where I haven't had to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I am accepting that my nights of uninterrupted, sound sleep are over.
- I felt relatively decent up until a month ago. Until that point I had slight nauseau and malaise but nothing I couldn't deal with. Telling people how great I was feeling and that, essentially, this is going to be cake was a big mistake cause I have had eat my words since then. I keep hoping I'm on the brink of feeling better. When I start to feel discouraged, though, I tell myself that, one way or another, this will be over come August.
- I've developed weird aversions to people/things, not food. The most unfortunate thing is scrapbooking. I can't bring myself to even sit down at my crafting desk without feeling ill. The weirdest thing are those Paige Davis commercials for R.C. Willey. She makes me want to vomit (actually, most annoying people do...has anyone else ever had this problem?!)
- I expected I'd be showing at least a little at this point so it's a little unnerving sometimes as I worry if everything is okay. I even lost about an inch on my waist over the course of a week. I've gained the appropriate weight (not sure where it all is right now) and my doctor's appointment went well, so I'm just trying to relax. I'm sure there will be some point where I would give anything to be where I am right now!
- Where has all of my energy gone?! I suspected almost immediately that I might be pregnant when I was on the treadmill a few months ago and had an incredibly difficult time finishing my run. I used to get up early and get my day going before I had to go to work. Now I can't get up before 9! I changed my hours at work to come in earlier, hoping that by having a reason to be somewhere, I might be able to get into somewhat of a routine again!
- I have what are appropriately called "Emily" moments. I've always had them, but they seem to have increased exponentially. It's pretty bad when I don't remember how I arrived somewhere or I do something REALLY stupid at work within 3 hours of being named "Employee of the Month." (True story.)
Great:
- Obviously, we are SO EXCITED! This has been a long time coming. Due to unnormal circumstances, we had to have the timing exactly right and miraculously, everything has worked out better than I could have hoped!
- In one word (or letter): S. He has been amazing (now the older post about him taking over a lot of what I normally do might make a little more sense.) I couldn't ask for a better, more supportive husband. (Even though he kicked me out of the kitchen. Literally!) He's going to make a great father!
- If things go as we hope, I'll still be able to work most of my hours at work, therefore preserving somewhat of a social life. And the income. That doesn't hurt, either. That's the great thing about having a husband who only works 9-10 days a month. And the days that he's at work I'll be able to stay home. I suspect that in the future our kid(s) will be more excited for it to be a "daddy-only" day rather than a "mommy-only" day. The days I'm home will probably consist of chores and homework. The days that S is home will probably consist of trips to the park and the zoo.
- I hear horror stories of how some women turn into emotional messes when they are pregnant and, according to S, I haven't been bad at all. I've cried, like, twice and felt like I was insane only once. If anything, I've been more irritable, but at annoying or stupid things that would drive anyone crazy.
- I didn't expect that I would fill up so quickly when I ate. This has caused me to take better inventory of the things that I eat. Consequently, I am eating more fruits and vegetables than I ever have before in my life. Oh, and cheese. I LOVE cheese!
- It's forcing me to slow down a little and be more aware of how I am treating my body. I usually rush through everything and overwork myself. Being physically unable to do that is a blessing. I've come to appreciate having an excuse to take naps and let someone else help me when I need help (a very humbling experience...I hate asking for help.)
So, that's pregnancy so far according to Emily. By the way, I've decided to create a new blog. This blog is still my primary blog and I will continue posting on it. Also, I will still update the pregnancy on here, but I'm weird about giving too many details in a public blog, especially when it involves a new baby. The new blog is private but I am more than happy to add you if you want to read! Not that my blog is soooo exciting, but the other one will probably be more of a travel-log, facts only. That kind of stuff. So if you are interested, send me your email address via a comment on here, email, or facebook and I'll add you to the list!
10 comments:
oh my goodness gracious!!!! What exciting news! Emily, I am SO happy for you and Scott! You guys will be wonderful parents!
How exciting! What fun chaos! And I'd love to read your new blog. My email address is anita.marie.smith@gmail.com.
Congrats, to you and S both!
YAY!!!! i can finally say something! haha So I just have to say, I think you're going to have a girl...why, I dont know...anyway...congrats!!! And I promise it does get better! Pregnancy is one of those great experiences (at least for me) and a weird one too...considering it makes you more aware of your body and the things going on around you (like your annoyances with people and other things)....
Like sarah I think you are going to have a girl also. Just gut feeling. But add me becca707@hotmail.com
Congratulation Emily! I have to admit S added me on facebook and told me about a week ago. We are so excited for you. I hope you continue to feel at least a little normal. Although, towards the end it is pretty hard to feel normal when your belly is quite large. Again congrats.
Congrats again! It was fun to read through your experiences so far, because I think any woman that has been pregnant can relate to almost all of them. I am kind of mixed in what I think it is going to be. Either one will be a blast for you guys. Of course, if it is a girl, hopefully we will have a girl next in the future, and they can be good buddies!!
That is so exciting! Congrats you guys... what a great post! You summed it all up perfectly ;). Pregnancy is so wonderful and hope you start feeling better soon.
I've said Congrats about a million times already, but I'm so excited that you two are going to be parents =] I'd love to read your other blog! I do believe you have my email :p Love you guys!!
Congratulations!!! That is great news!!
Congratulations Emily! You will be a great mom and I hope the pregnancy goes well. I would love to read your new blog... staci.ann49 at gmail dot com
Post a Comment