To say that these last 3 weeks have been a challenge would be an understatement. I try to maintain a relatively upbeat attitude in these posts (face it, reading a downer post isn't exactly the funnest thing) but I am not ashamed to say that I had absolutely no idea what being a mother entailed. I've questioned at times whether or not this was the right decision and also questioned my abilities to be able to meet all of the demands of a child. I think there was sort of a honeymoon period where everything was exciting and new and when that period started to wear off, I was faced with a newborn who was, in her best effort, trying to tell me what she needed and I, in my best effort, was trying to understand (she has reflux so feeding and burping her has been a huge challenge.) I had a pretty dark day earlier this week where every instance left me frustrated and in tears the majority of the day. S had gone back to work and I felt that my life would now consist of being held in complete isolation trying to do my best to care for this new baby but feeling like I was coming up short. I finally called my mom (I felt bad doing so because they were 2 days into a vacation!) I thought later how poetic it was that here I am, almost 30 years of age and in that moment I still needed my "mommy." I wasn't sure how much I would get out of the conversation because they were in an area with poor cell phone coverage and I was barely getting two to three words out in between sobs but somehow she managed to understand what I was saying and told me that this is hard and that what I was feeling was "normal" and that things really do get better. She also gave me real world advice, like carrying Bean around in the Sleepy Wrap so that I could actually get some housework done!! The best advice she gave me, though, was just to hold Bean and rub her back and talk to her honestly. Tell her this is really hard but that I am doing my best and that I still love her soo much. I think that in doing this, I was able to connect with Bean on a level that I hadn't been able to up to that point.
So in the days following the dark day I have managed to get out of the house and build up some sort of routine, although primitive. I managed to get almost all of my laundry done (S asked why laundry was so important to me and I think I figured out that it is the feeling of control that it gives me, rather than just having clean clothes to wear.) I've hung out with my friends which is a great distraction and have made plans to keep me motivated. I'm not saying that things are completely better overnight. I am still mostly overwhelmed all of the time and still have moments of feeling completely cut off from the outside world, but I am coping which is all I can really do for now. As long as it gets a little bit better everyday, I tell myself that I've gotten through harder things and that I can do this.
S will argue with this, I'm sure, but he has been so instrumental in me managing new mommy-hood. Just knowing that I have a partner in this who feels very much like I do is comforting. I love him so much! If anything these last 3 weeks have made me feel closer to him than ever. We looked at each other a few nights ago and honestly agreed that "this sucks" which is a feeling that I think neither of us had imagined we would feel. In some strange way, saying that and having him agree was such a relief because I didn't feel like such a bad parent. And truthfully there are times when I look at Bean and just don't like her very much!! But the larger truth is that we love her more than anything and I think that right there is why parents are willing to go through these challenges and bring children into the world. She is a beautiful baby and at the end of the day, we are really, really lucky to have her in our lives. And I'm sure as the weeks go on, my posts will become more optimistic as I achieve victories in parenthood!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I feel for you Emily! I'm sorry this past little while has been so draining. That first child brings so many emotions, both good and bad, and it IS really hard at times. Don't get down on yourself, I agree with your mom, it will get better! Keep getting out with friends as much as you can, that has been a lifesaver for me when I've been struggling. Hang in there, and keep smiling even when you don't want to! ((Hugs))
I can relate with the dark days, I think every new mom has a few of them, mainly because you don't know what to expect. Having your own child is much different than dropping off nieces and nephews, or babysitting charges. haha Last week I was thinking that it would be nice to go back to those days sometimes...but you're right, I would never trade my kiddos for anything...and I know you guys love bean so much! It's just an adjustment for you guys to have this new lil' dependent in your life, rather than your tummy ;) and she's adjusting to life outside the tum too...and learning that her needs are being met in a different manner than when she was in your tum. And I know the reflux isn't helping with the adjusting period. It's so great you have your mom to help you!! :) Listen to her! Her advice was straight on!! :) She's right, it does get better, but remember you'll still have down days as you're still learning and adjusting to each other! I think you guys are doing just fine! :)
Oh Emily, this post made me teary eyed. I stumbled on your blog from facebook. Hope I am not intruding! I was remembering my feelings with my kids too. My 2nd had a broken clavical and we didn't know it until she was 2 or 3 weeks old. Before I knew why she was so fussy I remember her not sleeping at all, me laying on the couch all night with her in her vibrating bouncy chair. I thought life couldn't get worse at some points. It did get better-or maybe I just grew used to the chaos I am not sure which. Add to it the hormone changes and it can be a pretty rough beginning! Hang in there. You and S will be great parents!
When I read this a couple weeks ago (sorry I'm SUPER slow!), I cheered out loud! That sounds awful, so let me explain: maybe I'm a little sensitive to it (being a non-breeder (not yet, anyway)) but it seems like all I hear new parents talk about is how blessed they are and how lucky they are to participate in this miracle. That is completely, 100% true and I cannot wait! But don't lie and say it's not hard and sometimes you just want to cry and sometimes, you love that baby more than anything in the world, but you don't like them. I've seen my friends and family go through it and I think that they felt like bad parents, which is ridiculous. If more people were brave and shared the bad along with the good, maybe people would understand that it's normal. Babies are hard sometimes, but that doesn't mean you love them any less. It also doesn't make you less of a parent to say, "Hey, this sucks." I'm going to climb off of my soapbox now, but thank you so much for sharing the good and the bad. You're an amazing mom and you're only going to get better!
Post a Comment