Sunday, August 21, 2011

Two-year review.

I can't believe I'm the mother of a two-year-old. It sounds cliche, but it literally seems like she was born yesterday. But then I think of all of the things I've learned from being a mom and I realize I have probably grown more in these two years than she has.

Here are some more mommyisms I've picked up in the last two years:




I have learned the true meaning of patience in watching Bean try to put her pants or shoes on by herself.



I accidentally taught Bean what a train wreck was (in case you don't know what it is, it's opening your mouth to show someone all of your unchewed food.) It started as a means to make sure she was swallowing what was in her mouth before taking another bite. She thinks it's hilarious.



I got as excited this week as if I had won the lottery when Bean went poop in the big-girl potty all by herself. The things that make me happy these days...



Just today, a deliriously tired Bean was throwing the tantrums of all tantrums. She ran down the hallway and totally biffed it and I had to cover a giggle so she didn't see me. Laughing is the only way to break the tension sometimes!



I've learned to recruit Bean for some of my daily chores. She loves pushing the buttons to start the dishwasher, washer and dryer. She likes to feel like she's helping and I like having help.



I can cook macaroni and cheese blindfolded and make a cheese quesadilla in under a minute. Also, I've learned that it's not going to kill her to have a cookie as long as she finishes her grapes first.



I am always 10 minutes late now. Always. I can plan an extra 10 minutes into my schedule only to have Bean insist that she take the slow way down the stairs. Again, the patience factor.



I have hidden a few of Bean's books because they were driving me bonkers.



There is only a slight variation in pitch between Bean's excited scream and angry scream, but I am actually able to tell the difference between the two now.



I can't imagine a night going by where we don't give her entire family of lovies kisses goodnight, along with the butterflies hanging from her ceiling (although lifting a growing toddler above my head is getting more and more difficult.)



Her eyes really are still this blue in real life.



Putting her hair in a ponytail is more difficult than I would have imagined, but so much fun!



The location where she sits to have her shoes (and socks) put on every day really does matter to a toddler.



It is easier to decipher toddler speak if you actually let her go show you what she is talking about. For example: today, she kept saying "spoon." I thought she said "balloon" so I kept trying to bring the balloon over to her chair where she was eating (this made sense to me since it had been tied to the chair on her birthday.) Finally, after I could tell she was getting frustrated, I just took her out of her chair and asked her to show me what she wanted. It was a major aha moment.



Just as it's getting easier and easier for her to tell me bye-bye, it is getting more and more difficult for me to tell her bye-bye. I will be a wreck by the time she starts kindergarten.



She was a great example to me recently when I sat down to eat my lunch with her and I looked over and she was folding her arms. We haven't said the prayer yet, mom!



It surprises me a little to see her already showing such empathy towards others, whether they be in her nursery class or to her mom after she bangs her leg in a table. "Owwee!" she exclaims and runs over to give me kisses better. Kisses always make everything all better.



There is really no more beautiful sound in the world than your own child's laughter. Especially when her and daddy are engaging in tickle wars. (Until they both turn on mommy, that is.)



Everything in this would can be communicated through 3 phrases: All done! Bye Bye! and More?



Life is so simple for her. It doesn't take much to make her happy. And she is so observant, often noticing beautiful things that I never would have paid much attention to. I could probably benefit from following her example more often. After all, who doesn't love balloons, coloring, and looking at the moon before bedtime?





~

These beautiful pictures were taken by the talented Cristi Nelson. She was so patient with us that night! I found out the next day that Bean had been coming down with a cold and likely felt rotten that night. She still was able to capture Bean's infectious personality!


3 comments:

Clint & Alicia McLaws said...

She's so beautiful!! And I can't believe how grown up she is already!! I hope our daughters will be as close as we were growing up <3 (despite the great distances apart)

Carol T. said...

Those pictures turned out so cute! She is such a photogenic little girl!

Hall Family said...

Very cute! Love the lessons and pictures :)