Sunday, June 10, 2012

Higher Education

S gave me these beautiful flowers for Mother's Day this year. 


                         

He also made me a yummy breakfast: biscuits and gravy! (Quite the different fare from my hurried pre-church bowl of cereal.)



This was my third Mother's Day and probably the best yet.  There wasn't anything super extraordinary about the day.  It was just nice to spend time with my family.  We also were able to go visit S's ailing Grandma S. (aka Gramma Great to Bean.)  Bean has been able to go with my MIL several times now when she's staying with them.  Bean and Gramma Great have developed quite the relationship over the last several months and it absolutely warmed my heart to see them interact with each other.  I'm sure Bean will miss going there as often in the coming months.

Being a mom (and a parent in general) has been on my mind a lot lately--in case you haven't been able to tell from my recent posts.  I've been reflecting on how much has changed over the last 3 years. 

Only a few years ago my 5-year plan included applying and (hopefully) getting in to Medical School.  Not many people know this--like I could probably count all the people that do on both hands--which is why it's sort of terrifying to put this out there like that.  When I graduated with my bachelors in '05 S immediately started school.  He earned his degree, was accepted into the Fire and Rescue Academy and got hired on with his current department in '08. 

I think the plan then was always for me to go on to continue my education.  At that point we were 26 and realized that starting a family really was more of a priority than we had thought.  We certainly weren't getting any younger.  Not long after Bean was born we talked about having another child in a few more years, after which I would go back to school.

Well that few more years is here and I find that, not only is it difficult to comprehend being away from my kid(s) any more than I already am but I'm not sure that having "MD" after my name is as big of a priority as it once was.  I admit, academically and career-wise, I am very comfortable in my job--almost too comfortable, which probably isn't good either.  But I look at work now as something I do in between what matters most whereas before Bean was born it was probably the most important aspect of my life, second to S of course.

Another thing that has taken me by surprise is just how much I am learning by being a parent.  Motherhood, honestly, has not come extremely easy to me as it has some other women out there.  I feel like I've had to work really hard at it.  I can do the basics, of course.  But my patience has been challenged on a level that it only could be with someone who is used to having things go her way most of the time.  I also have realized that I suck at giving time-outs.  Okay Bean this is your last warning.  Okay?  1...2....Bean are you listening?  You are going to have a time out.  Okay?  1...2...2 1/2... 

I think what I'm saying is that I am 100% dedicated to my mom role now.  It's the most cliche thing to say that moms in the home work, too, but there isn't one person out there who wouldn't contest this statement.  I think as soon as I started realizing that I am a wife first, mom second, whatever third that I've sort of started realizing that when I am home with Bean that that is my job.  Now I'm not handing in my 2-week notice any time soon.  I still really like my job as a lab scientist and feel fortunate that I found a job that suits me so well.  I will still keep working as long as it is reasonable for our family, but it is certainly secondary (err, tertiary, quad-iary?) to my life at home.

As far as going back to school goes...I don't ever rule anything out in my life.  I know of a doctor in particular who just finished her residency not too long ago and she is significantly older than I am.  I also don't rule out the possibility of me still doing a marathon someday.  But what I've realized about life is that there is a season for everything and right now I'm happy accepting my role as Bean's and soon-to-be Boy's mommy.

No comments: