Monday, July 16, 2012

July Sixth Twenty Twelve

Hello World.

I would like to introduce you to the most recent member of the H family.

This is Boy.  

He was born at exactly 0805 on July 6th and screamed for the first half-hour of his life.  As far as I can tell, he just doesn't like to be naked.  My predictions (half from knowing he was second child+a boy; the other half from how huge I felt) led me to believe that he would be at least an 8 lb-er.  This little man only weighed 7 lbs 2 oz (3 oz less than Bean) but he was longer (22 inches as opposed to 20.)  His legs are all skin and bones for now but if he's anything like older sister, he'll chub up here in a few months and become rolls upon rolls of cute baby-ness.

Though my c/s wasn't as "pleasant" this time around, I was still overcome with emotion when I heard his little cry.  And I was so anxious to see this little man for the first time.  I have told everyone so far that I expected him to be all boy but what I didn't expect was for him to be so beautiful.  He has light strawberry-blonde hair and the sweetest face and smile I have ever seen.  And the sweetest disposition to go with it.


Everyone's second question has been how the Bean is taking it.  I would say, "Better than I expected."  As far as her and Boy's relationship goes, she is so sweet and gentle (and motherly) with him.  I expect that she will be a big help.  I worry that she will be too big of a help. 

The problem has been more between Bean and I.  I suspect she's not used to having me home all of the time.  Add on the fact that I have had very little motivation to discipline her over the last month of my pregnancy. 

We're working on it.



Boy is a lot different than Bean. Then again I am a lot different the second time around.  I've heard the second kid is easier, largely due to the fact that your life is already family-oriented and less disrupted than it is when you have your first.  But he makes it easy, too.

I've found that I actually look forward to waking up early to spend some peaceful alone time with him.  (I've found this is easier when I go to bed earlier, too!)

I forgot just how much laundry you do with a newborn.  He hardly spits up as much as Bean did, but when he does, it looks like something out of a horror movie.

Changing a little boy's diaper is much different than changing a little girl's.  Obviously.  I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even think about it before he was born; there has been a bit of a learning curve.  (Though it's not just me.  He appropriately earned a reputation of showering the nurses in the nursery.)

I don't watch him sleep like I did the Bean.  Consequently (and unbelievably) I am getting A LOT of stuff done.  I am taking advantage of this "sleeping-around-the-clock" thing while I still can.

Most importantly, I know where the term "momma's boy" comes from now.  I am wrapped around his little pinky finger.  Tightly.

No comments: