If you live in Utah, then you know how unseasonably warm it has been the past three weeks. Only this weekend did we finally see snow and even then, we received a lot more at our house than they did in the valley. I'm not complaining though. Warmer temps outside meant more being outside which made Boy one happy kid.
Bean was so anxious to decorate our Christmas tree. I ended up working the weekend after we picked it out so Bean had to wait a whole 3 days. I'm sure a 5-year old must consider it torture. After dinner that night we gave her the go-ahead. Which made Bean one happy kid.
The next day she realized that we didn't have any Frozen themed ornaments for our tree so she decided that she'd better make some. Pictured below is Bean next to her Elsa ornament. This kid can craft anything out of a piece of office paper and some markers. (And, seriously, she does.)
I don't know that Boy remembers a lot from last year but he definitely seems more into the idea of Christmas this year. He is fascinated by everything he sees, which makes it way more exciting for the rest of us.
Of course we made our annual trek to the Festival of Trees. Naturally there were many, many Frozen themed trees. This gingerbread house was amazing!! It would have been amazing on it's own, but then the volunteer told my mom that it was made by the female prisoners at the prison, one at a time, one hour at a time. What an awesome story and what an awesome result that the rest of us get to enjoy!!
Last year Bean didn't really understand making wish lists for Santa Claus so most of 'his' ideas came when she saw toys underneath various trees. This year Santa was on his game and had already completed most of his purchasing before we even went. So I crossed my fingers that the things Bean saw this year would be things that Santa had thought of. Luckily Santa knows Bean pretty well! *hint* Christmas morning just might look like this Frozen themed tree...
Last year Bean missed her recital because she was sick that day. This year, a few days prior, she started complaining that she didn't feel good again. I thought 'oh no, here we go again!' But luckily whatever it was passed and we were able to enjoy going to her recital again. She did so great this year and I was so proud of her. She told me that she wasn't nervous at all but that the girl next to her was really scared. (You can watch the video here--she's the second from the right.)
Our next annual tradition was doing gingerbread houses with my mom. Boy was old enough this year to make gingerbread men (though he ended up eating more than he decorated.) Bean decorated, of course, a Frozen gingerbread castle. I love her.
Mine was pretty traditional per usual, but I still had a lot of fun. One of my favorite things about Christmas time for sure.
For a long time I have really wanted to go to a Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert but I am never thinking about it during the lottery in October. This year I put it on my calendar to enter the lottery and we were lucky enough to get tickets! Not only that, but since they announced who the special guests were before we put in for tickets, we found out in time that it was the Sesame Street Muppets and Santino Fontana (aka Hans from Frozen) so we knew that we had to include Bean.
I was probably more excited for this evening than anything else this year, and it didn't disappoint. We got there when doors opened so we were able to get fantastic seats (like front row of the terrace.) By the time the show started an hour and a half later Bean had sort of checked out, but she loved it whenever the Muppets made an appearance. Sesame Street holds a very special place in my heart. Everything about the performance took me back to memories of my very happy childhood. It ended up being a pretty emotional experience for me, in spite of sitting next to a very squirmy Bean.
We are only halfway through this very busy month! And in Bean's eyes, the best is yet to come!












No comments:
Post a Comment