Sunday, March 29, 2015

Our week off track

We scheduled Bean's surgery for the first Friday she was off track, which meant that the majority of our break was spent at home.  We had been able to go to Las Vegas for a few short days, which was great.  But we still felt bad that most of Bean's surgery would consume her break from school.  Luckily, her health improved so quickly that we were able to have some fun before she had to go back to school.

We celebrated the two week post-op mark by taking the kids to the aquarium.  They love this place!  It was pretty busy that day, but it always surprises me how, no matter how many people are there, it really doesn't feel too crowded.



One morning while the kids were watching PBS Kids, I happened to hear about the Curious George display at the Treehouse Museum in Ogden.  (I guess Bean happened to hear about it too because she immediately said she wanted to go!)  It was the last week before school started again, so S, Bean, Boy and I made the long (And I mean long) drive up to Ogden.  I am so glad we did.  I had never heard of this place--it is terrific.  It reminded me so much of the old Children's Museum in downtown Salt Lake.  The one thing I don't like about the new Children's Museum (Discovery Gateway) is that there aren't as many interactive, hands on things as in the old one.  There was so much to do at the Treehouse Museum that we left promising we would go back again.



We recently had a change in a few schools in our town--we will be switching from year-round to traditional class schedules next year (and probably only for a few years until growth catches up.)  I think if I had heard this news last year at this time, I would have been ecstatic.  But after doing the year-round thing I actually really like it and this most recent off-track proves why: we were able to get Bean into surgery without missing school and we were able to go do fun things on a 'normal' school day without fighting crowds.  Here's to hoping we get our year-round schedule back!

No comments: