Sunday, May 1, 2016

A Post About Boy

If I had to sum up Boy, it would be that he's just such a...boy!  Seriously!  I'm not saying there is no drama with him, but when he gets mad or sad, he gets mad or sad, and then he's over it.  I'm not saying Bean is overly-dramatic or anything, but as Boy is getting older I am noticing that there is definitely a difference between the two!



  • Boy spends most of his days with me.  We keep busy around the house in the morning.  He is still napping at least 2 days a week (and for 3-4 hour stretches!)  I still love nap time but honestly, it is so much more convenient to just go and do things without worrying about being home in time for naps.
  • Boy and Bean are absolutely best friends.  It is kind of sad to see Boy wander around when Bean leaves for school.  When Bean is home, they will disappear and play together all day long.  I love it.
  • Boy loves watching Agent Oso, Super Why and Word World.  His favorite food is candy.  Luckily he's actually very reasonable so his love for candy is what I bribe him with to get him to eat a fairly well-balanced diet.
  • A month ago S decided to trim Boy's very long locks into a mohawk.  I'm not sure we intended to keep it for as long as we did, but we loved it.  It suited his little personality so well.  I was sad to see it go...




  • Like a typical boy, Boy is content spending his days sitting in a pile of dirt or rocks.  S has taken advantage of this and had Boy start helping him out more in the yard.
  • Boy is a Momma's Boy.  I cannot leave the room without him telling me 'goodbye' and 'I love you' several times.  And most the time he wants to come with me.  And if I don't wait it's a complete melt-down.  It's nice to be loved.
  • It is not nice to be loved that much at 4 in the morning.  Boy is currently back in his bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night and screaming at the top of his lungs until someone comes in.  And then it's usually just cause he wants water.  
  • We recently went camping and found that Boy is obsessed with our trailer.  He and the other kids we went with were content playing in their 'cave' the entire time.  I'm pretty sure if we left it up all summer, Boy would be out in it every single day. 



  • Following up on Speech Therapy from last year, Boy and I have been attending an articulation class on Tuesdays.  I have a love/hate relationship with the class.  Boy is S-T-U-B-B-O-R-N and would hardly cooperate with anything I or the teacher asked him to do.  But I have noticed lately that he is starting to enjoy it more.  And the results of the class have been pretty remarkable: he went from being 40% intelligible to 75% intelligible.
  • And speaking of improvement, putting him in preschool this year has been the best decision, both for his speech delay and for his confidence.  He is a SMART little guy!  (We can probably thank Bean since he emulates her in every way he possibly can.)  Academically he's ahead of where he needs to be which was shocking to me, considering the speech delay.  However, we are still leaning towards starting kindergarten a year later, just because he has had these delays and is still so small for his age.  Also, I want to drag out this 'having a kid at home' thing as long as I can.
As any family we have our good days and our bad.  And if I'm being honest I can think of several parts of our short almost-4 years together where the bad days outnumbered the good.  But this past year Boy has exponentially made up for the rough start--he is absolutely such a joy in our family.  I wish I could capture his little personality and keep it forever.  I don't want him to change a bit.

No comments: