Sunday, October 19, 2008

This has been a great week.

(The kind of week that gives "great week" its definition.)


It started with a trip to a local exhibit revealing human anatomy in plastic form. I like to call it plastic gore--kind of like House of Wax, but more educational. I went with a good friend who could appreciate comments like, "So that's why those transplants need so much blood," and likewise returned, "That's exactly what that person's humerus looked like coming out of their skin the other night." I left feeling slightly ill but definately more appreciative of the complexity of the human body. And amazed than any of us live to be 100.


~

After meeting up with some long-time school buddies for lunch on Wednesday, I came home prepared to spend the evening with my hubby who had the next day off of his other job for fall break. He'd suggested earlier in the week that we head up in the mountains to see some fabulous fall colors. I was game! We hopped in his truck and headed up the canyon. There was this particular place he wanted to go to take pictures on recommendation of a coworker, but we absolutely could not find this place. Assuming his coworker had given him lousy directions, I didn't know what the big deal was. He kept insisting, though, that we find this place.


FINALLY, we found this antiquated building surrounded by a lake and a mill. I started walking around but the husband said he'd feel more comfortable asking permission before we got too far. We went into this building and I realized it was some sort of lodge. When the hostess returned to her desk, assuming we were guests, asked if we were checking in. At the same time:

S: Yes.
E: No, we're jus...wait, what?

Apparently my sneaky (and very thoughtful) hubby had planned a much needed retreat to this luxurious Bed and Breakfast for some much needed R&R. Not only that, but he booked the nicest room that they had. We went to dinner nearby and rented a bunch of DVDs, vowing to stay up all night and sleep all the next day. A couple of lightweights, we barely made it through the first movie and were asleep by 10. It WAS the best night's sleep I've had in weeks, though.

A side view of our accomodations. Our room was the whole top floor (where the eaves are.)


A view out of our private balcony. We kept the door open for a bit that night. The next morning we read a notice suggesting that we keeps windows and doors closed as bats frequent the area.
Isn't this view incredible?

We went home via the scenic route. I can't believe we live so close to this! I see this mountain every morning from the other side.
~


One of the expectations of moving from one season to another is that we will lose our garden. Such was the case this week. I think it's a good thing that plants look so ugly once the first frost hits; it makes it much easier to rip out plants that way! As I was preparing to trim back our parsley plant, I lifted up the leaves and unearthed a nest of daddy-long legs. The events that succeeded this moment can best be defined as a major case of the "heeby-jeebies." Even my hubby who was in the kitchen making lunch (and couldn't understand why I was pounding on the door trying to get in) shuddered once I told him the story. Yuck.


I was going to plant some fall flowers but liked the look of our bare garden so much that I think I'm just going to go minimalist this year and enjoy the bulbs that grow in the spring.

Our small harvest this year.


I went to the parents this week where the focus was grapes! I can't even begin to describe the smell that fills their house once they start to juice these...

~

Proof that purple peppers exist. (Thought I was planting orange peppers. Imagine my surprise!)

~

Last winter my hubby rolled his snowmobile down this hill (which we affectionately named after him...see below). Luckily he was okay. His 'mobile? Not so much. All year it has been stowed away in our garage, booting his truck outside.

This week we moved it out onto our patio for the winter where three fates await it:

(a) It will be sold for parts.

(b) It will be sold as is.

(c) It will sit outside until next spring where it will be moved BACK into the garage and await fates (a) or (b).

So if you know anyone that is interested...

~

Speaking of spiders, we had an infestation this week. (The squeemish may want to skip the last picture altogether.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the good friend who was kind enough to illustrate the appearance of a humerus thrust out of the arm, that was an awesome afternoon!

Also, I'm glad I decided NOT to text you Thursday to see how the movie night went. Tell S if he knows any single hot firefighters who are taking lessons from him...you have my number.

Hall Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.