Other than being concerned that he is happy there, I haven't thought much about it affecting my life. Until last night.
I missed dinner last night at work and decided to reheat some chicken S had made for dinner earlier that evening. He said that he'd take care of it and not to worry so I just went and relaxed on the couch. Pretty soon this incredible aroma filled our kitchen and my previously non-apparent empty stomach started to growl. A while later he brought me this piece of chicken smothered with cheese and some grilled pineapple on the side. I practically inhaled it, exclaiming every once in awhile (mouth full), "This is SOO good!" After I'd finished literally licking my plate and sat there and stared at it for awhile, I thought to ask, "So where do you come up with these ideas for meals?"
He told me that it was something Capt. W had made for them awhile back. You see, all of these delicious meals I've had lately (this wasn't the first) have been replicas of meals they have eaten at the firestation. (Sidenote: I decided awhile back after eating at the station with him one night that if anyone wants an incredible personal chef, they should just hire a firefighter. Better yet, marry one. These guys are pros.)
I have to admit I have been a skeptic about S doing much of the cooking in the past (sorry babe, but it's true.) I was fine owning up to my domestic duties and I like trying new recipes, so I would politely keep him out of the kitchen while I went to work. However, I think the egg-nog french toast he made a few weeks back changed my mind. At that point, I was willing to hang up my apron for good.
Anyway, back to last night. At his old station they mostly ate out so S came home with very few recipes. But at his new station they always make their own dinner. I realized last night that I am the sole beneficiary of it.
~
As if my previous post didn't indicate how much I was in the Christmas spirit, I think today's Primary program did me in. During sharing time, the kids reenacted the Christmas story. By the time the kids were each given their parts there were, like, 5 kids left in the audience and a handful of teachers. I guess the novelty was to be in the program, not necessarily act it out for anyone else. Anyway, I even had a part as a narrator. Here again, I'm not sure who I was speaking to, but it was fun to participate.
As the three wise men (wearing sparkly robes that were 3 sizes too big) knelt down to offer baby Jesus their gifts, we ended the program by singing Away in a Manger. I started to choke up as I was once again reminded of the true meaning of Christmas. These children so innocently portrayed what this special Day is all about and I was so grateful to begin this Christmas week with the true Christmas Spirit at heart. I hope that everyone is able to find a similar moment this week to reflect as well.
On behalf of S, We wish you all a Merry Christmas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment