Sunday, April 26, 2009

Are you "green"?

I'm not, not really.

It seems that this week has been all about being green, with earth day and arbor day. I read a post on one of my favorite blogs that I read and I had to laugh because I completely agree with the author. It's not to say that I don't try to do my part with being one of a billion other residents on this planet. I don't litter. I try to recycle when I can (would probably do more if our neighborhood had an active recycling program.) We bought the reusable grocery bags (because you get a refund for using them.) And I'm a fan of gardening. But, unless nothing else is available some day in the future, I will never drive a hybrid. I still enjoy being in the great outdoors, even if it means I am "polluting" it somehow by being there. And I think earth hour is a ridiculous idea. Really? You want me to cut all electricity in my home at the time of night I'm going to need it the most?!

I understand the need to be a little more conscienscious of the decisions that we make on a day to day basis, but it seems like everyone has gone a little overboard with the idea. It almost seems like a fad now. (Does anybody remember the Atkins craze when carbs were the enemy? Have we just decided to move onto the latest craze?) Also, anyone who believes that global warming is a problem needs to come live in Utah for a few months. It's called a cycle. We have years where the earth warms (dinosaurs) and years where the earth cools (ice age.) I'm sorry, I don't remember them teaching in history class that the dinosaurs became extinct because they weren't driving a Prius. It's ridiculous to panic about things that are so out of our control anyway.

I'd rather just enjoy life, thank you.

~

Yesterday I had one of those moments that I've become rather famous for...

I had asked S if he would mind taking over trimming the lawn for me. The engine on the trimmer lies really close to my belly and I've heard super loud noises are not good for the baby. He said it was fine and I said thank you...

E: I just don't want her to be deaf.

S: Huh?

E: Deaf.

S: What?

E: Deaf!

S: Dead?

E: DEAF!! D-E [at this point I realize the smirk on his face...I then "get it" and mutter] oh, shut up!

S: [smiles] I think you need to be more worried about her being gullible!!

Have I told you the story about opening doors with my badge?? Like I said, wish I could blame it on pregnancy...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It's SO good to hear someone that isn't a green freak! I completely agree with you on every aspect. It is pretty ridiculous how much people are blowing things out of proportion. I do my part as well but I'm not going to revolve my life around it!

I laughed out loud at S's sarcasticness. That definitely runs in the family! At least he has a great sense of humor and makes you laugh. Life is so much more fun that way!

Brie/Marie said...

I feel that you and I are so alike: we are smart, motivated women; medicinal scientists, even! And then, sometimes people wonder if somebody else ties our shoes for us...sad. My latest and greatest "duh" moment: I try to open the door to my house by clicking the unlock button on my car keys. You can't make this stuff up!