Sunday, April 19, 2009

Isn't it ironic?

One of my favorite songs when I was a tween, I remember that "irony" meant only what Alanis sung about: forks and knives, crashing on your first airplane flight, that sort of stuff.

As an adult it is easy to find irony in almost any situation. A friend (who is also pregnant) was the first to point out some general ironies, including the fact that she hoped for a girl first and I a boy. Yup, she's having the boy and I, of course, am having the girl! Irony can sort of wear you down if you let it. i.e., Why don't things ever go my way? But I think it is more interesting and downright humorous! For example...

I was mowing the lawn the other day and I noticed as I got close to a group of quail that they all ran away. Not that I've never seen quail before but it occurred to me that they have wings! Why don't they just fly?!

The last couple of times that we have gone to make appointments for pedicures, it has snowed. Last week, right after a snowstorm, I walked out of the place with bright pink toes. And I couldn't even wear sandals to show them off to the world! (I did, however, wear sandals to church today and, as I told S, I couldn't stop staring at my feet!!)

Four hours ago I was talking to S and saying how I thought it was interesting that he had been with the fire service for over a year now and he still hadn't gone on any "cool" gory traumas. An hour and a half ago he called me to tell me that I had, in fact, jinxed him; he had just gotten back from his first real gory call. I didn't feel too bad. Firefighters (and apparently half of my coworkers) like that sort of thing.

Possibly the most ironic thing is that I've been complaining about being cooped up inside while the snow keeps coming. Today has been absolutely beautiful! And how have I spent it? Inside watching TV.

So it's true, irony is everywhere you look. Usually after pointing out an irony, I will say something like, "Isn't that ironic?" If the conversation is with S, he then continues to belt out, "It's like Rai-ai-aaiin..."

1 comment:

Brie/Marie said...

I always like to say, "Now isn't that ironic, Alanis?" as if I'm asking for her direct opinion. I am lame, I know.
By the way, I am hoping for a boy first, as well. In ten years, when I finally have children. :)