Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bean's Dancing School: Observation Day

A few weeks ago they let parents come watch Bean's dancing class for the entire hour.  It happened to be my birthday so S was home to watch Boy, so I could go enjoy myself distraction free.  I think at first Bean was confused as to why I was staying there, but she quickly got over it. 

They started off with tumbling.  Poor girl is still the only one who can't do somersaults by herself, but compared to how she was a few months ago, I can see huge improvements!  (Especially in her backbends!)


Then they moved to the jazz portion.  It was so cute seeing these girls do their "dancing exercises."  It really took me back to my teaching days.  Their technique is pretty primative at this age, but I thought Bean did exceptionally well at her chaines and pirouettes {for a 3-year old.}  Her leaps were better, too.  Last time I saw her try, she'd run up to the doll they had on the floor (which was supposed to be leapt over) and just hop over it.  This time she did kind of a one leg hop, but it definately resembled a leap more than a hop.

The best part of the class was when all of the girls finished their exercises.  They curled up into little balls on the ground (Bean layed out flat like a pancake) and each one would take turns "waking" another girl up with a magic wand.  I have to admit I reverted back to my dancing days and anxiously thought please don't let her be last, please don't let her be last...  She wasn't, but the girl who was hopped up angrily and stomped off saying "I HATE BEING LAST!"  I guess nothing really changes.

I thought this was so nice being able to come watch what she's doing.  I can tell a difference in her at home so I know she's learning something each week.  But it's nice to be able to connect with what she's telling me now.  Although I still have no idea what a "bus chin" is...

No comments: