Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bean's Dancing School: Recital Edition

So this post requires a bit of a back story...

I never posted about Bean's Christmas recital because none of my pictures turned out very good and I shouted her name in the middle of the performance so I didn't want to upload the video here.

I shouted her name in the middle of the performance because she had stood on stage playing with her fluffy white tutu for the better half of the performance and, finally, at the end, decided to start dancing.  It was very cute.  She was the crowd favorite.  And no, I'm not being biased.

Anyway, Bean's Spring Recital was at the end of May this year.  It promised to be one crazy, hectic day but Bean was so excited to dance that I even found myself feeling that nervous excitement that I felt all of my years of dancing.

They held a practice at the amphitheater that morning.  At first I wasn't crazy about going but in the end I'm very glad we did because I think it gave Bean a good idea of what to expect.  She is a really timid little girl and is resistant when it comes to new situations.  (Hmm, wonder who that sounds like...)

She looked so big sitting on that stage with all of the other dancers!  I also loved how so many of the 3-5 year olds showed up with curlers in their hair.


Bean did her entire dance during the practice and she was so proud of herself: "Mom I DANCED!"  I recorded it just in case she didn't dance that night so she would have something to show for the past year of classes.

The amphitheater was beautiful.  The walkway had some waterfalls that Bean wanted to have her picture taken by.


Bean and her one-armed hyperextended half-bow.


Bean was so excited to have curlers put in her hair...and it's a good thing because her hair turns out so cute with curlers!  Here is Bean right before the show:


She had complained that her tutu was scratchy when she first got it so I was concerned that she wouldn't be able to stand wearing it for 3 hours.  But she was really excited when she got to the show and saw all of her friends wearing the same thing!  It was Bean's turn to go dance.  Again, they all looked so grown up lining up to go on.  This time I recorded it without exclaiming her name :)  Bean is the one on the far right.


That girl sure can take a bow!

I had the opportunity to be one of the moms that got to sit with the girls.  It's nice to be able to keep an eye on Bean and I get a pretty good seat as well.  Here they are taking their final bow (see arrow--Bean is sort of hidden behind the class helper:)


We headed back to my parents afterwards to celebrate my dad's birthday (which happened to be that day) and Bean insisted on a mini photo shoot.  She's such a funny girl!




We changed both the kiddos into their pajamas and put an exhausted Boy to bed while the rest of us stayed up and had pie and ice cream.  Bean and her Papa J sure are best buds!


While everyone visited that evening, Bean decided that we needed to play "dancing show" and she was the teacher and I was the dancer.  She helped me walk onto "stage" and then made sure my feet were placed just so.  I laughed because, if you watch the video again, you can see Bean constantly making sure that her feet don't move from the position that they were placed into on stage (even when she was supposed to move them!)  I'm guessing they were told to "stay in their position" several times during the previous months' practices!

It was time to go home.  S, who had taken the evening off of work to come to the recital, had to go back to work so I woke up Boy and took 2 exhaustedly happy kids home.  The only trouble I had was when Boy swiped my phone and I took it away.


It was such a great day!

No comments: