Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Basement Halfway Done

When I went PRN I think S and I both assumed that finishing our basement would be something that came much, much later.  Luckily circumstances have been such that we've actually come a lot further with it over the last several months than we thought we would be able to!  I know it's hard to tell construction progress from pictures alone, but trust me--it looks awesome!

S was able to hang all of the drywall himself and do some taping and mudding.  He quickly realized he'd had his limit though (have I mentioned how much he hates drywall?!) and hired the guy who did my craft room to come finish the rest.  Having walls and a ceiling really made a difference!

One of my favorite decisions we made was the lighting in the family room.  Basements can be so dismal and, especially with the newly replaced LED can lights, this place really lights up!  We have all of the lights on a dimmer, too (perfect for movie night) and S installed a ceiling fan since this picture was taken.  (The concrete wall on the far end will be covered in flagstone and he's going to custom build a TV cabinet like we have upstairs--just on a smaller scale.)  Also not in the picture is the tile that S finished with our wood stove back in place.


S just finished painting in the last couple of weeks.  For hating the paint color in our house when we first moved in, I laugh now because it's what we wanted to paint our basement with.  I love it now.  And I love basements to be a smooth continuation of the rest of the house, so I'm happy.


The last two doors are my craft room and bathroom (finished in 2012) and then, tucked around the corner, a closet that is temporarily housing our food storage.  The unfinished door is the second bedroom...


...which will either be Bean's bedroom someday or a guest room/office.  Right now it's the holding room.


With the weather being good (finally) we have turned our attention (and resources) to working outside so I don't know how much we will work on the basement the rest of the summer.  But I am happy with how much we've (and by We I mean S) been able to do.  All of the drywall dust is gone and it's starting to really feel like a welcome addition to our home!

1 comment:

Hallcasa22 said...

That's great!! Looks good too!