Sunday, May 17, 2015

My first experience as a field trip volulnteer

I had the opportunity to go with Bean's kindergarten class on a field trip as a parent volunteer the first week of May.  We were going to Hogle Zoo, which I love, so I was really excited.  I wasn't surprised when Bean opted to sit with her friends instead of me, but was pleased when my new little friend T asked me to be his bus buddy!


The fun new thing at the zoo this year is their Zoorassic Park 2 (...implying that there was a Zoorassic Park 1 at some point?  I don't know--we have only really become devoted zoo attendees in the past few years.)  There were life-size animated dinosaurs all over the zoo and this really cool dinosaur bone excavating pit that the kids loved.



My challenge of the day was B (in the lower right corner.)  He's the only one that I feared might fall into an animal cage--such as the gorilla pen.  Seriously, he climbed up onto the railing and was so confused when I told him he needed to get down.


Their favorite part of the day--and the part that they would have been pleased to stay at all day--was at the very end when they found the spitting dinosaurs.  I almost didn't get them back to the bus in time!


The experience was as challenging as I thought it might be.  Trying to keep track of 4 kids with different interests and agendas was a little tough!  But luckily, two parents showed up to walk around the zoo with us so really I just had to focus on B and Trouble.

I guess it poured everywhere else that day, which is about par for our zoo visits, but it only lightly sprinkled on us the whole time making it a very pleasant experience.  The kids all wanted to eat their lunches practically as soon as we got up there (which was, like, 1030) so I'm afraid we brought home some very hungry and tired kids, but if they were all as excited as Bean was the rest of the week, then I think it was successful field trip!

No comments: