Sunday, March 20, 2016

...and everything else up until today.

The end of December was great.  I love that the kids are entertained by new toys for hours on end.  Plus we actually had some great snowstorms this year.  Bean built her first snowman all by herself!



S and I finally went to see the last Hunger Games movie and, when we got home, our sitter told us that Bean's obnoxious tooth was bleeding again.  I say 'obnoxious' because this darn tooth had been loose for weeks but wouldn't budge.  Unfortunately Bean's teeth all grew in very close together which means this kiddo is going to start orthodontics later this year.  Anyway, on this occasion, enough was enough: S grabbed some floss and I grabbed Bean and amidst screams of terror we finally got this stubborn tooth out (and of course she was still screaming because she didn't even realize it had been pulled...)  After she calmed down I got a picture of one happy tooth-gapped girl.


Bean has been begging us to take her ice skating for a really long time.  It's not that we had low expectations for her, it's just that she's afraid of nearly everything that has to do with falling or getting an Owie.  So naturally we were shocked when she took to ice skating like a fish in water.



Boy, my normally brave child, was Mr. Fraidy-pants.  We spent much of the time not skating but watching from the sideline.  (S was nice enough to take the kids for a few minutes so I could do a lap by myself!)


 After some really decent snow all of January and February, S and Bean built the most awesome snowman yet.  It lasted for quite awhile, too!  When the forecast showed the weather warming up, I figured I'd better take a picture before he melted away--good thing, too!  Two days after this picture, he was only half a snowman.  Literally.


Parties have been fun for Bean's first grade class.  I took a different approach this year: I planned all the parties and then delegated supplies and help.  I'm kind of a control freak.  I had major anxiety last year when 2 of our moms (who had planned games) ended up not showing up until halfway through the party.

For Valentine's day we did the traditional Valentine Card trade.  We also did a heart walk, Valentine Memory, a love bug craft, and decorated heart sugar cookies.  It was so easy and my favorite party yet.  I love this age group--they still think everything is fun.  Sixth grade is going to be a challenge!


Boy took advantage of warming temperatures to go play outside in what remained of the snow.  I caught him eating snow.  I can pretty much guarantee our snow is not clean.  Ick.


Mid-February my friend and I went to the new Provo Temple open house.  It is such a beautiful building on the inside and out.  It reminded me so much of the newly dedicated Payson temple.  Now that it is dedicated, I imagine the number of people going is going to be tremendous.  We can't wait for a chance to go ourselves!


Once all the snow was melted, S got busy working outside.  This, in my opinion, is the best time of year for gardening.  The sun isn't blistering hot, and everything old is new again.  Boy took advantage of this and went outside to 'help.'


Starting the first week of March, I, too, headed outdoors and spent the first half of the month pruning and raking.  It felt so good.  The kiddos joined me and made dinner creations while I worked.  I love their imaginations.  I never want them to grow up!


I surprised Bean with two tickets to go see Disney's Frozen on Ice.  I actually bought the tickets clear last April when we were still watching Frozen daily and everything in Bean's life revolved around Elsa, Anna, and Olaf.  Well...a lot changes in a year and just a few short weeks before the event, Bean informed me that she no longer likes Frozen and instead likes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Darn first graders.

Obviously, I was still going to take her to the show and I just crossed my fingers she would enjoy herself.  I kept it a secret until we got there, and once she realized what we were doing she was SO excited!!


I hoped she would enjoy it.  I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, though!  The special effects were pretty amazing!


S, Bean, Boy and I are rarely home together on a weekday anymore, so when Bean was off of school one Friday, we took advantage of this and took her and Boy to the Clark Planetarium.  They had never been before.  Bean thought it was amazing!  And Boy keeps telling everyone he sees (including complete strangers) that he took a rocket to the moon.




Bean is my little scientist which makes me one proud mommy.  She and I both thought the thermal imaging was pretty great.


Afterwards we bought some astronaut ice cream and walked around the Gateway.  The weather wasn't too bad so we even braved going to the fountain.  The kids loved it!  We are definitely going to have to make a repeat trip down there again this summer.


The next day was terrific weather.  We played at the park that morning and, after S had to go to work, we headed up to my parents to finish our yard work.  Winter was really long and hard on us this year.  I can noticeably tell a difference in our kids when they spend a decent amount of time outside.



Bean told me a few weeks ago that she really wanted to build a leprechaun trap this year.  I found the idea for using an empty Kleenex box on Pinterest.  Bean decorated it and we set the trap.  If you follow me on Instagram then you have already seen that the leprechaun got away after playing all sorts of tricks on us.



S told me that the leprechaun is committed to stop by from now on.  I told him I didn't really mind!  These are the moments that make being a parent all fun and no work!

1 comment:

Hallcasa22 said...

Lots to do and lots of fun!! :)