Sunday, October 12, 2008

I received an e-mail last week.

It was one of those forwarded petition e-mails asking everyone to sign their name on it and that if "x" number of signatures were received, a certain TV program would not be cancelled. First of all, I doubt that this program which has been running for decades would be cancelled. Secondly, I also doubt that a petition of e-signatures would stop a program from being cancelled. Thirdly, if you are the last of the required signatures, who would you send this e-mail to to make sure that this program remained on the air? I rolled my eyes, muttered "oh, brother" under my breath and deleted the e-mail.

These sorts of things bewilder me. Maybe it is the state of mind that our nation is in right now that has me aware of this, but it seems like people in general LIKE to be in a panic over different sorts of things. Not to say that the financial problems aren't very real for a lot of people; I'm sure that many people are facing hardships right now. But even people who are perfectly safe in these times are in a frenzy. It must just be human nature.

This, however, has turned me towards inner reflection. (This is where I get lengthy and philosophical.) I realize that, though I may not be too worried about things that the general public is, I certainly DO worry a lot. I find myself getting caught up in the "what if's" and living years ahead of myself instead of living in the present day. After finding a recent article in a magazine providing suggestions on overcoming worry, my mind was already turned towards ways I could just live in the moment and take life for what it is. Then came President Monson's conference address on Finding Joy in the Journey. It was absolutely what I needed to hear. I'm sure most of you heard it and, if you didn't, I would highly suggest listening to it (or even listening to it again if you did hear it). I've really tried to pay attention this past week to how I respond to different situations as they arise and to incorporate a better attitude when they do. Here are some examples:

-The first thing I noticed right off is that, when I am on my morning run, I generally look down at the ground. I don't know if this is just so I can concentrate or so that I don't trip on anything, but I rarely look up around me. This week, however, I made it a point to look at my surroundings and enjoy the autumn mornings. I felt blessed to live where I do and actually enjoyed myself vs. just going through the routine of exercise. And I didn't trip, either.

-After a particularly bad night at work (the kind of night that gives "Bad Night" its definition) I went through the normal "vent to everyone" process that I always do. Normally I would still be fuming. This time, though, I tried to think of the things that I learned in this situation and the positives that came out if it and what I need to know for next time. Honestly, when I think of the events of this particular night now, it doesn't even bother me.

-Whenever we have an early snow storm, it sort of puts me in a state of depression that winter is inevitable and that I'm stuck inside for the next several months. When learning that we would have snow this week, a friend said, "When God gives you snow...make a snowman or better yet a snowangel." She's absolutely right! After all, snow does eventually melt. Why not enjoy it while it lasts?

I'm not saying that I'm never going to have a bad day or suddenly part from all of my worrying/pessimistic ways, but if this week has been any indication, it's a lot easier to just live day to day and enjoy the moment as it is.

~

On a lighter note, my Fire Man responded on his first call that made the local news. Very exciting! It was dark so I couldn't see him very well, but an appearance is an appearance, right?

~

I had the following conversation on the phone with my husband last night while I was at work. We were talking after he'd gotten home from grocery shopping. While I can't remember specifics, it went something like this:

S: "Hmm, that's strange. I accidentally bought Vampire makeup."

E: "What?"

S: "There was this lady behind me buying Halloween stuff. This must have mistakenly ended up in our things."

E: "That's weird. Hope she doesn't miss it."

S: "Yeah, and I'm sure we'll find some use for it..." He pauses, then calls out to our cat in a sing-song voice, "Bi-lly!"

Poor cat.

~

Teaching Sunbeams has to be the absolute best calling I've ever had. One, those kids are so smart for that age! Two, they absolutely crack me up sometimes. Today during our lesson on How to be an Example, our teacher asked the children ways that Jesus was an example to them. One of the boys turned to me and, with a very serious expression, said, "You know, Santa's really counting on us." Why, yes he is.

4 comments:

Hall Family said...

Thanks for writing about this, today was all good until R.S. and I'm still fuming about it...even though Alan says "let it go". I worry way too much, which is why Pres. Monson's talk really appealed to me! Anyway thanks! :)

Melissa said...

Great post. They are definitely subjects we all need to think about and improve on. I totally agree with you on not freaking out about things. You do what you can with what you have and the Lord does the rest.

By the way, I loved the Sunbeam comment. So true. They definitely have some great imaginations and perspectives on life.

Anonymous said...

No one died or got fired, and we look like we saved the day that night. So you're absolutely correct in not worrying about it five days later. I'm so glad we all had the chance to be reminded that every day holds new opportunity and every challenge allows us to grow.

Now go save Billy.

Jake and Kate said...

Poor Billy! Em! Welcome to the blogging world! It's addicting to say the least. You're a very entertaining writer, I'm excited for what's to come! :) Our blog is pricepriceprice.blogspot.com if you wanna check it out!