I went to my doctor's appointment last Thursday only to learn that baby girl is now breech. It must have happened in the past few weeks, too, because everything was looking right on track before Thursday. I told S that she must have inherited his sense of direction :) Anyway, upon learning that she's breech and that there is little chance that my doc can turn her safely at this point we scheduled a c-section.
I think I was mostly shocked at first. I had my appointment right in the middle of my shift at work and when I came down to tell my coworkers the news I started to cry (embarrassing.) I'm okay now though and am actually getting really excited. Having a scheduled c-section is a planner's dream! I arranged for today to be my last day of work so I have a few days to get ready. S and I are going on one final date the night before and I am planning on waking up the next morning and relaxing to the max before I have to go to the hospital that afternoon.
I'm also really happy because (a) I know that S will be there (been nervous since he's a firefighter that he wouldn't be around when I go into labor) and (b) my doctor will be the one to deliver her. He and I share such a similar philosophy when it comes to pregnancy that I really wanted him to be the one to deliver her and I know that isn't always the case. I'm not too heartbroken about not having a "natural" birth (is it really natural when I am planning on taking any and every kind of drug they are willing to offer me?!)
It has occured to me a couple of times that I've basically spent the last 9 months getting my body "delivery-ready" for nothing. I have heard so many times (and probably mentioned such) that the better shape you are in, the easier the delivery. I still faithfully plugged in Denise Austin's Fit-and-Firm Pregnancy Friday morning and as I was going through the routine, I thought, what's the point now?! Oh well, hopefully it will mean a faster recovery? I also found myself wondering why I was still reading the Labor and Delivery chapter in What to Expect... Knowing she's coming via c-section has definately changed things!
About the only thing that has been a problem to deal with is the fact that it is surgery and I will be awake. I still get flutters of panic if I think about it too much because I don't know how I will handle it. I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible, though, and remind myself that I have a great doc and S will be right there with me the whole time. And at the end of it I get to see our baby girl!! I am SO excited about that part! (I came home last night and found a pack of little bows that S had picked up at Target--on his own. I think he's excited too :) )
So I suppose the next post I publish will be post baby (unless she completely turns back on her own and they opt to let nature take it's course...I have to admit I think I'd be a little disappointed at that point. I feel so psyched up for this now, let's get it done!) I don't know when that post will be but I'm sure it will include lots of cute pictures! And hopefully an account of how smoothly the day went. Let's hope!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh...emmm...gee!!!! I'm SOOO excited that she'll be here on wednesday!!!! I can't wait to get lots of pictures posted so that I can make lots of cute scrapbook pages!!! :D :D :D I'll have to send you my phone number so that Scott can text me a picture when she's here!!! :D
Post a Comment