Bean is currently obsessed with "too-too tains" so she was pretty intrigued when we actually walked up and boarded one (much more so than she was when we put her on a tractor a few weeks ago.) We had to wait a few minutes for the train to head out but as it started to move, Bean was, like, "Whoa..."

The trip only takes about 45 minutes and she was an angel the whole way. She didn't sit still, either. She wanted to sit on the seat across from me, then sit on my lap, then sit on the seat across from me, and so on. Then she figured out she could step on this little ledge by the window and look outside. I'm wishing right now that they had more space around airplane seats.
Once we got up to Ogden, we headed over to the old Union Station and had lunch. Bean was pretty hungry and we were impressed that she ate so much. And every half hour or so another train would either come or leave and you could hear all of the kids in the restaurant (including Bean) exclaim train!!
We finished eating and decided to go over to the train museum, also inside Union Station. I went there several times when I was a kid and remember loving that place. The have all sorts of historical memorabilia from the Golden Spike era...
...including the actual Golden Spike! (At least, that was the claim.)

Towards the end they have an enormous model train layout that spans 4 or 5 rooms and it depicts the actual transcontinental railway. However, the train wasn't running that day. I was sort of bummed. Have I ever mentioned I was also pretty into trains when I was a kid and had my own model train layout in the basement? I suppose at some point adolescence happened and clothes, makeup and Seventeen magazine became much more important. But I do still have all of my train things. Maybe one of these days Bean and I will set it all up again...
Anyway.
As we were making our way back to get onto Frontrunner, we passed by a bunch of old train cars and a locomotive that they let you climb on. That is when I got this priceless picture of li'l Bean.

It was a fun excursion. Bean ended up doing not as well on the ride back to Salt Lake, but it was her naptime so I wasn't that surprised. Once we made it back to the car, she fell asleep. (So did I!)
No comments:
Post a Comment