Sunday, August 4, 2013

July Sixth

I can't believe that Boy is already one!  I was just telling S last week that, while he has certainly had more challenges than Bean did her first year, his first year has gone by a lot faster than Bean's did.

The day of his birthday was kind of low-key.  We had taken Bean to the zoo for her birthday but it just rained on us the whole time.  I don't know that she really cared too much, either.  So we mostly just spent Boy's day lounging around and playing.  I think it was better that way!  Boy went down for his nap and I started setting up for the party.  This is what I saw rolling into the valley.


Great time to host our first outdoor party!

I said a silent prayer that the storm might miss our house and, once again, my prayers (small and insignificant as they might seem) were answered!  The storm completely missed our neighborhood.  I say neighborhood because I could see it pouring rain only a mile away.  The weather did end up being nice and cool so it was really pleasant and, while it did end up sprinkling towards the end of the party, it was no big deal.

I don't know who was more excited for presents: Bean or Boy.  Bean is a smart little kid.  She knows that Boy is too young to really appreciate the bounty that comes with a birthday.  She, on the other hand, is more than willing to appreciate it.  Which she has every day since.

We told Bean that she was in charge of helping Boy open presents and she took this task very seriously.

I love this picture of Bean and her friend hauling this present over.  I also love the look on Boy's face.  It's his last present and he's definately warmed up to the idea of a birthday party by this time.

Boy hasn't been the eater that Bean was so I wasn't sure how his cake smash would go:

We sang the song.

We tried to entice him.  He started to cry.

He looked at me as if to say, 'Do I really have to eat this?'

He eventually caved, though I think we ended up smearing most of what you see on his face!

The party sort of dispersed after that: a smattering of rain and lost balloons and toddler metldowns will do that!  But it really was a great evening and I am grateful for all of our family and friends that came to share this special day with us.

After Boy and Bean were bathed and in bed, Bean helped us clean up the party.  She made sure to grab all of the pinwheels so they wouldn't blow away.  She has a deathly fear of the wind since her turtle tent was blown across the yard one afternoon.

It ended up being a gorgeous evening.  What a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Hallcasa22 said...

Happy Late birthday little guy!!! Love the cake--so cute! Seems like it was a great day! :)