It's Thanksgiving month and I've always loved reading people's daily posts about what they are grateful for. What a great way to celebrate the season. I knew I wouldn't remember (or have time) to post daily about the things in my life that I am most grateful for, so I decided to schedule some blog posts to be published throughout the next few weeks leading up to Thanksgiving.
My first subject will be mad that I chose to do an entire post about him, but it's one of the things I love most about S. He is completely oblivious to just how awesome he is.
I was thinking today about what I wanted to write about S and a story came to mind which I don't think I've shared here before (and if I have I'm sharing it again.) We were in San Diego on our babymoon a few years back. We were just leaving a gas station when S noticed a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk outside of the station. He went up to him and asked when the last time was he had a decent, somewhat healthy meal. I don't remember the man's response, but S went into the station and found some fruit and a sandwich for this old man. He received it with such a look of gratitude in his eyes--I'll never forget it. This story just typifies the kind of person S is. Just the other week he noticed that a neighbor up the street was getting sod in and showed up bright and early the next morning (a Saturday) to help lay it. He will drop anything to help somebody else out, even if he knows the favor won't be returned.
Another thing I love about S is his strong work ethic. When he was a boot (the lowest fireman on the totempole) he spent every single waking hour at work rereading his textbooks or studying up on his operating procedures. He can't sit still. He always has to have a project going. And he doesn't complain about it either. I have been told at my job that I am a really hard worker (whether or not it's true...) and I have to attribute most of that to S's example.
Now of course he's not perfect. None of us are. And I know he would object to everything I've just said about him, but luckily it's my blog :) And I think he's pretty great.
S is currently studying for a big promotional exam for work that is coming up this week. I have never in my life met anyone who studies as hard or as well as he does. He would probably volunteer this information (so I don't feel as bad putting it out there) but he wasn't the best student in grade school. He hit college and became a better student than I ever was. I wish I could have studied half as hard as he does--I would have ended up summa cum laude. I know he is working so hard for this promotion largely in part for our family. Grateful doesn't even sum it up. I am one lucky gal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great post! And great idea to schedule them! I didn't even think about the thankful posts this year....but wish I did!
Post a Comment