Sunday, May 25, 2014

Easter Weekend 2014

So our Easter celebration started out with a little bit of bad luck: I bought an egg dyeing kit weeks ahead of time, but when we went to dye the eggs just a few days prior to Easter, we realized that the manufacturer had forgotten to include the egg dye tablets!  (WHAT?!  Kind of an important thing...)  I don't remember the circumstances, but I'm pretty sure that I was working the few days leading up to Easter and by the time I was able to go get another kit (thank goodness they still had them) we had maybe an hour to devote to dyeing eggs.

The reason I tell you this is that this little girl ended up practically doing them all on her own.  I had all of the stuff ready for her and turned her loose.


I think they turned out so well!  She continues to impress me every day!


I had Saturday off of work, but S was scheduled to go into work at noon.  This left us with enough time to take the kiddos to the city egg hunt again.  Boy was old enough to participate this year!


Shameless selfie with the cutest little iPhone addict I know...


So if you remember from a few years ago, we had to scramble for anything because parents were so competitive.  (If you remember, I was also a little ticked off.)  So this year I had Boy by the hand with my game-face on.  The fire engine alarm went off, signaling the beginning of the hunt, and I raced onto the field with Boy in tow and started shoving candy into his basket.  It was at this point that I looked up and realized that the rest of the parents were calmly making their way onto the field and urging their little tots to gather candy one piece at a time.  Great, now I was that parent...

Boy did pretty well and we left the field with plenty of candy still on it.


Bean was in an older age group, and thus on a different field, so I didn't get any pictures.  S told me, though, that she had a plan going onto the field: she ran to her "spot" dropped her basket in the center, and started making her way around her basket in a circular fashion, spiraling outward.  Brilliant.  She made a killing--it took a month to finish all the candy.

We had enough time when we got home to do our own Easter egg and Easter basket hunts.  All those rocks make great places for hiding eggs.  Plus I had some on the grass for Boy to find.  I think they had a good time.




The next day, S was working again, so I dressed up the kiddos in their Easter finest and we went to church.  I always love Easter Sunday.  There is something so sacred about being able to worship on the day that we remember Christ's atonement and resurrection.  The kids and I were able to go over to S's parents that evening for dinner and another egg hunt.  By this time Boy was getting pretty good at the whole thing.


(Side-note regarding Bean's clothing in the following picture: she is in a major Disney Frozen stage right now.  Since she doesn't have an Elsa dress-up costume, she improvises.)


His face in this picture says it all...


No comments: