Early this past spring S found out that The Little Mermaid would be playing at the Tuacahn Theater down in St. George this summer. He asked if I thought we should take Bean to go see it. I absolutely said yes! Initially we were going to take Boy with us, but the closer it got the more I realized how hard on him it would be to stay up so late (and that we might not be able to enjoy the show as much or at all.) So we ended up leaving him home with grandma. I have to admit, it was kind of nice it being just Bean and us.
It was a really quick trip. We left the morning of the show (a Tuesday) and came back the following morning. When we got to the hotel in St. George we immediately went swimming. We tried to nap after that but it's kind of hard to get an excited 4 year old to rest so we left the hotel and found things to keep busy while we were waiting for show to start.
We ended up finding this playground at a local elementary school. It was shaded. Like with a canopy. I'd never seen such a thing before. But I guess it makes sense when you live in a desert.
It is so absolutely beautiful down there. I could seriously be happy living there...
We bought tickets to the pre-show dinner which started around 7 (which, might I add, is when we start getting this little girl ready for bed!) I should mention now that Bean had no idea what we were seeing that night. She immediately started noticing all of the Little Mermaid banners but didn't really put two and two together.
After dinner we still had about an hour to wait until the show started. We found a spot where we could look behind the stage and see props. I think she may have started figuring it out at this point.
Then when we were seated she really started to figure it out. She asked if we were seeing The Little Mermaid and I told her 'yes'! I took a picture of her reaction. She was so excited!
The musical started and, I have to admit, it was pretty awesome! I'd never seen a Disney movie-turned-musical before, but I really liked it. Bean REALLY liked it! Halfway through she looked up at me and said, with the biggest grin on her face, "Mom! I'm really starting to feel sleepy!" Every time the audience applauded, though, she'd still be on the edge of her seat clapping as fast as her little 4-year old hands would let her!
After the show, we got in line to meet the cast. You should have seen the look on her face when she saw these two! (And even more so when she realized she was going to be able to meet them!) It totally made the trip!
Bean and I have this kind of weird obsession with the song 'Poor Unfortunate Souls' so we just had to meet Ursula!
I don't think we got back to the hotel until midnight. I thought she might be too wired to fall asleep but only a few minutes after we turned out the lights, I could hear her softly snoring. What a sweetheart!
I should add as an ironic end-note: remember how every time I have gone to St. George it has snowed? I told S if it snowed on this trip I was never going back. It was windy and a little chilly during the show, but no snow! However, back home it did snow--third week of June. So technically, somewhere in the state it snowed while we were in St. George...








No comments:
Post a Comment