Sunday, July 13, 2014

Summer in our Yard

Did anyone else ever run in the sprinklers when they were kids?  This was a huge part of my summer when I was a kid (that and putting the sprinkler under my neighbor's trampoline which, as I think about it now, probably wasn't the safest thing...)  I remember begging and begging my parents to get a swimming pool while I was growing up (thinking it was so easy--but they have a huge backyard!)  They said no.  I settled for running through the sprinklers.  This summer I decided to introduce Bean and Boy to one of my favorite childhood traditions.  Bean loved it.  Boy was a little hesitant and ended up just going and playing in the dirt instead.


I was surprised a week later when, during a massive rainstorm, Boy didn't even hesitate and walked right out into it.  He was soaked in a matter of seconds.  Bean quickly followed his lead.  The storm was over in about a minute and the sun was warm enough to completely dry them off by the time we went inside.  I love summer rain...


~

So I've made it no secret how much I despise the deer in our area.  I don't know why it never occurred to me that they might be the reason the lower branches on our crabapple tree don't grow very well.  I looked outside one morning and saw this.  I was like, 'Busted!'  After I snapped the picture I scared the living daylights out of this deer in particular.  (Yes, I had a moment of gratification.)


~

S and I were sitting out on our porch on the second longest day of the year when, out of nowhere, there was one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen.  It seriously rivaled those we saw in Costa Rica that fall.  It was over so quickly--I'm glad I had the sense to pull out my phone and take pictures before it was gone!


1 comment:

Hallcasa22 said...

haha just wait til Lil Guy puts "two and two" together (dirt + sprinkler) ;) that should be fun! ;) haha Alan just said he's going to buy a bb gun for the rabbits in our yard. They are keeping us busy chasing them off! Could you spray peppermint or something spicy on your leaves? Would that deter the deer?