Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bean Starts Kindergarten

One of the biggest recent changes in our lives has been that Bean started Kindergarten!  I still can't believe it!  I don't know who was more excited for her to start: her or me. I just remember loving Kindergarten so much and I couldn't wait for her to have the opportunity to go.  

Our first day was a little more emotional than either of us had expected, I think.  S was working which was kind of a bummer, but Bean bounced out of bed that morning exclaiming: "MOM!! I get to go to school today!"  

Things were fine for me until (and I know this is silly) I saw the crosswalk lights blinking and I realized this was really happening and, yes, I got emotional.  I'm glad I was sitting in the front seat of the car with sunglasses on.

Things were fine for Bean until it was time for her to go into the playground.  She clung to me like I have never seen before.  She wanted me to walk her into her class, which I couldn't do.  I helped her line up with the other students and as I went to take a picture of her in line, she turned her head and I could tell she was crying.  Then she ran up to me and, in the tiniest little voice, said, 'Can I tell you goodbye one more time?'  It was so sweet and heartbreaking all at once.  I watched as my little girl walked off to her new great adventure.  She seemed so small to me all of a sudden.  

But it has a happy ending.  Fast forward 2 hours to pick-up time and I was so excited to see her.  Bean in this time had forgotten I existed and, when she finally noticed I was there to pick her up, refused to come out of the playground.  I finally had to go get her and tell her it was time to go, which made me the least popular person in her mind.  So I guess when I say she had a happy ending, I mean rather that she adjusted to Kindergarten really quickly!


No comments: