Sunday, August 24, 2014

Rock Walls and Waterfalls

We had an ambitious project for our yard this year that was a result of us simply wanting to get our garden in.  As S and I tried to plan the layout of our garden boxes, we realized that the slope of our terraces was too great and would eventually lead to erosion.  After running various ideas past each other, we ultimately decided that we would have to add a third layer of boulders to our existing walls in order to bring the grade up.  While we were at it, we decided to have our water feature installed so we wouldn't have to worry about it later.  As it turns out, the water feature ended up being the major project and raising our walls was almost secondary.

Boy loves tractors right now so you can imagine he was in heaven for the few days S and his friends were working.


The beginnings of our waterfall:


You can probably tell between the first picture (with Boy) and this following picture the difference in elevation.  S and I are really happy with the results.  I would say I wish we had done it that way to begin with but then we probably would have never gotten around to doing our waterfall...


...which turned out incredible.  The light is really harsh so it's hard to tell the detail from the following picture, but it looks (and more importantly, sounds) amazing.  I can't wait to get the surrounding landscaping finished.


Bean and Boy have wasted no time going and digging in their new 'sandbox.'  And Boy was elated when he discovered he could throw rocks in our new river, just like the one at the cabin.


No comments: