I had fun throwing two birthday parties last year, but when our friends did one combined 'half-birthday' party for their two kids, whose birthdays were only a few weeks apart in the dead of winter, we declared that it was a genius idea. So this year instead of inviting the same people out to two different parties, we had one big barbecue party for Bean and Boy.
Initially the idea was to have the party exactly between their two birthdays, but as it turns out the weekend that worked best was the weekend right before Bean's birthday. Luckily Boy is still too young to care and as long as there were cake and balloons, he was happy.
I kept the guest list short and the food simple, making this my favorite party to date.
When Bean was adamant that she have a "Frozen" cake (and I knew that my capacity to make such a cake was highly limited) I turned to the lovely bakery at Harmon's. Really, for the quality of cake you get, you can't beat the prices. They are beautiful AND delicious!
Bean, of course, picked Frozen:
And Boy 'picked' Thomas (really it was probably more Bean's choice again...even though she claims she heard him say "Thomas"):
My favorite part of parties is as the guests start to leave, we release birthday balloons into the air. The kids love it.
I love the aftermath of parties. Bean saved 'a few' special balloons and played tea party with her brother for hours the next day.
The following Tuesday was Bean's birthday. Her real present is coming up in just a week, but for the time being we decided to go to the zoo. It was overcast and rainy and we considered cancelling our plans but I am SO glad we didn't because it was BY FAR the best trip to the zoo we have ever had!
Anyone who grew up going to Hogle Zoo remembers this drinking fountain. Now my kids are big enough to enjoy it!
I love the new lion encounter that the have. Everything is just so much nicer since they have redone it. The kids also love all the new animal statues they have throughout the zoo.
The splash park was practically deserted since it was rainy and cool, but Boy didn't even hesitate further drenching himself. Pretty sure he would have stayed here the rest of the day if we had let him!
Bean playing in one of the tunnels near (I think) the bear exhibits.
Besides it being more pleasant for us, the animals really liked the cooler weather as well. Most times I go to the zoo the animals are all sleeping but this time they were really active. I've never seen a tiger play as much as this one did:
The kids had a really great time, which made it a great experience for S and I as well. Their highlight I'm sure was the carousel. Boy loved it so much that he refused to let go when the ride was all over!
After the kids were rested up, we took Bean and Boy out to dinner. We were kind of mean in that, when we got home, we made her get her jammies on and room cleaned up before she could open presents. But it was finally time for the best part of any birthday.
Bean got plenty of Frozen things for her birthday. She was a happy kid!
















1 comment:
Happy Birthday Bean and Boy!! I'd say Bean is one lucky duck! Frozen themed birthday!
Post a Comment