Sunday, September 28, 2014

San Fran Girl Trip!

Last June at a Girls Dinner, upon her impending 30th birthday, my good friend suggested that the three of us take a Girls Trip to San Francisco.  We were all for it!  So the first week of September, that is exactly what we did.

I've been to San Francisco several times now, but I would say that this trip provided a very authentic San Francisco experience in just three short days.

First off we went to the Winchester Mystery House.  I did the tour back in high school when our choir toured the Bay Area.  I probably got more out of the tour this time!  Plus, we took the garden tour which took us to some areas I hadn't seen before (including the basement--hence the hard hats.)


After that we visited Stanford in sweltering heat.  It was a relief to finally reach the Bay.  Our first stop, naturally, was the Golden Gate Bridge.  It was Labor Day so there were a lot of people, but we were still able to see a lot of the bridge.  We even walked out across it, which is something I hadn't done before.


The next day (L's birthday) we headed to Golden Gate Park and visited the California Academy of Sciences.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but this ended up being my absolute favorite part of the trip.  I think we spent a good 5 hours there!  They have everything, including a rainforest, a planetarium, and a huge aquarium.  If you are ever in San Francisco, I highly suggest making this part of your visit.


That afternoon we took a trip to Alcatraz--another new experience for me.  The closest I had been to it was a bay cruise.  Even decades after its closing, the place is still so ominous.


There was a self-guided tour which the birthday girl may or may not have gotten lost on.  (Can you imagine being lost on Alcatraz?  shudder)



Afterwards I was able to meet William Baker, the only living ex-con who spent time on Alcatraz.  He recently wrote a book about his experiences as a prisoner on the infamous island.  I felt like it was such an historic moment that I had to buy a signed copy for myself and get a picture taken with this seemingly sweet old man.  The more I read the book the more I realize he was in prison for a reason!


That night was dinner and a late night visit to Ghirardelli Square for a chocolate fix.


The next morning we headed straight to the Painted Ladies for some awesome photo ops and Full House reenactment.


We were kind of rushed at Fisherman's Wharf the previous afternoon so we spent more time there later that morning, including breakfast/lunch at Boudin's sourdough bakery.  Oh. My. Goodness.


We paid a second visit to the sea lions.  S always gives me such a hard time because I like nothing better than doing my best sea lion impression to impress my web-footed friends.  They are just so cute.


That afternoon was another new experience for me.  I actually got to ride on a cable car.  Like, hanging off the side and everything.  It was awesome.



We got off the Cable Car at Grant Street and visited China Town.  I'd driven through it before but this was my first experience actually wandering through the shops.  I love this place!  L found a fortune cookie factory on what had to be the shadiest part of town, but we survived the trek and scored bags of freshly made fortune cookies.


It was such a fun, fast trip.  Just enough to get away from the mommy world!  And my travel companions were the best.  After all, who else would do a group selfie with you as you are flying down California Street on a Cable Car?!