Saturday, April 2, 2011

April showers.

As I write this I am listening to the rain pouring down outside. I don't know what it is about this house, but I am able to hear the rain more clearly than I could in our old one. I don't mind it at all.

My mom will tell you that one of my favorite memories of camping when I was a kid was laying in the top bunk of our camper while it was raining outside. I would let the sound of the rain pouring on the roof above my head lull me into the most peaceful sleep. I don't think I have ever gotten over it.

Another favorite memory of mine was backpacking in the high uintas in a downpour. It was a trip that we looked forward to every year and we weren't going to let a little rain stop us. I couldn't have been older than 8. I remember walking along the muddy trail amongst some of the lushest greenery I have ever seen. It was almost magical. And like I said, it was a downpour. My dad was amazing. He found the only dry spot under some trees and we settled down for the night. It rained the entire night but we stayed perfectly dry. We woke up the next morning and the storm was completely gone. In its place were majestic mountains.

So if I had my way, I would have it rain every night while I go to sleep.

No comments: