Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tidbits.

On my quest to further my stay-at-home-mommy experience, I decided to check out Toddler Time at our local library this week. We always go to the library on one of my first few days off and there are always so many kids. So I thought, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

The day's subject was insects. Bean just happens to be an expert when it comes to butterflies and ladybugs and dragonflies and bumblebees. She absolutely lit up each time storytime lady would introduce a new friend. At the end of Toddler Time she was also an expert on caterpillars and fireflies.

I have to admit I have been a cynic in the past when it comes to playgroups and toddler activities but this mommyhood thing has turned me into quite the opposite person. It is the best feeling in the world to see your child happy and learning!

~


S started his chemistry portion of school this week. I was excited because I feel like chemistry was one of my stronger subjects in college. You know that old adage you never forget how to ride a bicycle? Yeah, doesn't apply to chemistry...

It is a little disheartening, considering how many hours I devoted to this stuff in school. I did, however, happen to remember most of the abbreviations for the elements. I also remembered several mnemonic devices I had used to learn them. So I bet if I dug hard enough the rest of it would come back to me.

~


I have mentioned before that I currently work in the same city I grew up in. I was leaving work the other night and, stopped at the red light, I noticed that they had named this particular intersection the gateway to the city. I looked at each of the four corners. Rubios. U-Haul. Costco. Some random emissions place. Really? You're calling this the gateway to the city?

It feels like a much different city than I grew up in. Blame it on politicians, changes in citizens, whatever. I loved how, growing up, it had that small-town feel.

I think that's what I love most about where we live now. A smallish, close-knit community with the perks of living within a big city.

Assuming no further natural disasters occur, I would be happy living here forever!

No comments: