S's grandmother (i.e., Grandma Great) passed away earlier this month. She was such a neat person and instantly made me feel welcome to the family the first time I met her several years ago. I am grateful to have known her.
Bean had the opportunity this last year and a half to go up and visit her on several occasions. S's mom would go up and spend the afternoons/evening with Grandma Great so when she was tending Bean, she would take bring her along. Bean has some very fond memories of visiting Grandma Great. I am grateful for that as well.
This is the last picture I have of us together. I was able to take Boy up shortly after he was born. Grandma Great was so excited to see this little guy! She lit up like I hadn't seen her in the past months. I am grateful for that day that they were able to meet.
The funeral could not have been on a prettier day. The temperatures were perfect and the sky was sunny. It was perfect.
At the church where the funeral was held, they had a blackboard out for people to write messages to Grandma Great. Bean took full advantage of this.
When we first let Bean know that Grandma Great had passed away, her reaction was that she wanted to go see her and that new cousins would be there for her to play with. Ironically, Grandma Great passed away one month and one day after my Aunt did (and, furthermore, on what would have been my Aunt's birthday.) So I find it sort of interesting that Bean now associates funerals with cousins coming to visit and play with her. This, too, ended up being a wonderful reunion of sorts. I think it's exactly how Grandma Great would have wanted it.
Boy enjoying time with cousins M&K at the luncheon.
Afterwards, S suggested a spontaneous barbecue at his parents' house before he had to go to work. Bean, Boy and I stayed well past dark (and their bedtimes) so that she could get maximum playtime in.
Even then, it wasn't quite enough so a few days later she went with her cousins to the zoo. I told my sister-in-law (who lives several thousand miles away) that I hope the next time we get together is for a wedding and not a funeral.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
SO that's where my kids ran off to during the dinner! Cute pic! I hope you don't mind sharing the pall-bearing one (sp?) and the one of lil' man and the kids? You can borrow the zoo pics if you want. :) there's some cute ones of the kids! Hopefully we'll see you guys soon! We had a ton of fun with Bean and lil' guy! :)
P.S. I forgot!---That is a good pic of you guys with GGM! It looks like it was a good day for her! :) Good memories :)
Post a Comment