Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Winter Dates

If there is any obvious perk to suddenly being home all of the time, it's that S and I have already had more dates in the last few months than we did in the previous 6.  It's been awesome!  Since our parents aren't watching the kiddos anymore while S and I work, we don't feel nearly as guilty unloading them for a few hours while we go have some fun ourselves.

I mentioned in my post about goals that I had a fun year of dates planned for S and I.  Now that we are into it a little bit I can spill the beans on my blog.  I realized on our trip last year that I feel happiest when I am pushing myself outside my comfort zone so when I saw an idea on Pinterest (where else) about a year centered around sports-themed dates, I thought it would be fun to do for S and I.

The first date was ice skating.  I was trying to remember the last time I went ice skating and I think it was before S and I were married...and we're celebrating our 12th anniversary this year...so it's been awhile.  I had bought a Groupon to go to the outdoor rink at Gallivan Center in downtown Salt Lake City but as luck would have it, somebody had the nerve to rent out the rink for a private party on the night I had arranged to go.  So rather than cancel the date or rearrange babysitters, we went to the county ice rink.  

I was a little shaky at first.  S loved playing hockey in high school and he still skated around like a natural.  I'm happy to report that neither of us fell, though.  It was so much fun!  We grabbed some take-out from a local restaurant and skated for about an hour.  A+ for our first date!


Our second date was kind of sports-related, but came about from a Groupon we got from S's brother for Christmas.  They gave us a pass to go tubing at Soldier Hollow.  We decided to head up to our cabin for breakfast (which ended up being lunch by the time we got up there.)  It was lightly snowing and FREEZING!  Seriously, I thought it would be a good idea to take my boots off inside but the floor was so cold that my feet literally were numb after a few minutes.  Luckily S got a fire going pretty quickly.  It was so pretty up there and I wished we could have stayed longer.




After a few hours we cleaned up and headed over to Midway.  The snow was coming down all around us, but right where we were was actually pretty clear.  I had never been tubing before.  Basically they hook you up to a tow rope and pull you up the hill.  You walk your tube to one of 6 runs and slide back down.  I didn't break a sweat once.  It was awesome.  We found that if we went together down the steeper runs that we could catch some major air.  I told S I hadn't had so much fun since last September!



For our February sports themed date, S actually took care of the idea for me.  The theme was hockey and his work was offering deeply discounted tickets to a Grizzlies hockey game.  They were awesome seats, too!  Third row!  There was the most awesome fight, too.  I go for the fights, no joke.  We haven't been to a hockey game in a long time and while we were there I wondered why.  I love hockey!  I didn't realize that the Grizzlies had been demoted to a farm's farm team, either.  And they lost, which stunk.  But it was still fun!


1 comment:

Hallcasa22 said...

Cool Idea for dates! (Except maybe the iceskating ;) that just seems so unnatural to me. hahaha)