Sometime before Valentine's Day this year I read a blog post where a self-proclaimed do-it-yourself-er admitted that she took all of her kids to the store to buy their Valentines. I was, like, 'Hallelujah!' I mean, I love the idea of homemade valentines for all 20 of your preschooler's closest friends and might have done it at one time in my life--before I had kids. But Bean was more than happy to go to the store and pick out her very favorite boxes of Princess and Tinker Bell valentines to give to her friends and I was more than happy to take her.
Not too long ago I used to slave over perfectly baked and perfectly frosted sugar cookies but this year I just didn't have the energy so, in the same attitude as our Valentine cards, I opted for my tried and true sugar cookie recipe with a can of store bought frosting and a fantastic array of store bought sprinkles. Bean was over the moon! Best part is that the whole thing took under an hour. I may just boycott my inner Martha Stewart from now on. These cookies were the most delicious we've ever made!
In keeping up with my goals, I did in fact make some cute paper valentine ornaments but failed to take a picture of them so you'll have to trust me on this one.
On Valentine's Day itself I got together with some friends. It was an impromptu get-together that just happened to be on Valentine's Day, but we all ended up bringing Valentines for each other. Boy and Bean loved it!
Bean remembered having a Valentine's treat left on the table before dinner last year so she kept asking me if that was going to happen again this year and then hoping that she would get another 'lovie' (stuffed animal.) It's hard now because I feel like our kids are old enough to have accumulated a lot of stuff so I didn't want to just get her junk. Luckily, I found a pink plush rose in the dollar section at Target which I told her was Belle's rose--which she later informed me was red, not pink, and that I could just try again next year. But she still seemed happy with it! She got some Valentine's socks and pens and was a happy little kid.




No comments:
Post a Comment