Just as Bean has wrapped up a school year, Boy kind of has too! I mentioned in this previous post how Boy had been doing speech therapy since last fall. The accomplishments he's made this past year have been astounding! And I credit this awesome teacher of his:
Boy started off saying not even 10 words and now he speaks in almost complete sentences. He still struggles with his sounds (so much so that he qualifies for an articulation class at the child development center) but I can understand him 95% of the time, and when I can't understand him, Bean interprets for me.
As Boy is turning 3 this upcoming week, he has aged out of having J, our speech therapist, come to our house. Her last several visits have been a little unproductive--Boy has been really goofy and uncooperative so that he can get a laugh out of Bean (can you say Class Clown?!) But at his last session, I got really sad! J has become a good friend of ours and we have looked forward to her visits!
From this point on, Boy will be doing the articulation class and then we ended up enrolling him in the special needs preschool, even though he doesn't qualify (and we'll have to pay for it now.) We just felt that his progress has been so amazing that we don't want to lose momentum--there will be a speech pathologist in the class to monitor his progress, and they will intervene if necessary. Enrolling him early in preschool wasn't my goal. His needs are different than Bean's, though, and I'm grateful that there are programs out there for little kids like him.

No comments:
Post a Comment