Thursday, July 2, 2015

Summer in our Backyard

We full on experienced the pain of getting left behind on year-round school while all of the other kids are out of school.  We lucked out having a week off the first week of June for Kindergarten testing, but cabin and camping trips have been delayed until Bean was out of school.

But I think we did alright in the meantime!

We have spent so many evenings eating dinner on our back porch.  These dinners have seamlessly transitioned into the kids playing outside and staying up way too late.  It's not like it's their fault--my motivation to get them inside and into bed is completely gone when it's a warm sunny evening.  Summer evenings are my very favorite part of summer.


We started a new tradition this summer: Water Day Fridays.  Bean was out of school early on Fridays so we alternated between water activities on those days.  She anticipates it every single Friday we're home now.


Another Friday evening tradition is to go get SnoCones from the local SnoCone shack.  Best tradition ever.



A tradition that S and I live for is going out at twilight after the kids are in bed.  It has been awesome this past June to watch Jupiter, Venus, and even the moon align.  I am definitely an amateur astrologer, but I find the nighttime sky so fascinating.  Our evenings outside remind me of when S and were dating and he got hold of a telescope and took me up Emigration Canyon.  (I have an awesome setup, by the way, to take photos at nighttime...this particular evening would have been a good evening to practice using my real camera instead of my phone!)


Bean loves fireworks.  Like, loves fireworks.  Our town's summer festival was a few weekends ago.  S was working so I kind of wasn't thinking about watching the fireworks this year.  But when they started going off I instinctively ran up to Bean's room to see if she was awake.  She was awake and very excited!  So she and I went down and snuggled on our front porch bench to watch the fireworks.  Not a bad view from our house!


Lastly, Bean went to a birthday party a few weeks ago, full of water fun.  I initially thought Boy and I would just leave her there, but when Boy saw all of the water games, he got so excited--I ran home and changed him into a swimsuit, but when we got back we realized it was just a little too rough and tumble for him.  So we ended up leaving.  I stopped and got some dinner and took him to a local splash pad.  I've known about it for years, but we haven't actually ever gone there.  It was great!  He had such a fun time!  And I had a fun time going on a date with this little guy.  I am kind of looking forward to more one-on-one time with this dude next year when Bean starts first grade!


So I guess you could say that we have made the most out of being stuck home the first month of summer.  While I anticipate finally getting out in our trailer, I also look forward to spending more time playing at home this summer!

No comments: