Having S work as a firefighter (and having me work so many nights while our kids were little) has definitely given me (and I imagine S, too) a great respect for single parenting. While I realize that most stay at home moms are left at home all day with their children, in most cases dad comes home at some point to give a mom (or dad) a break. When your husband is a firefighter (or your wife works a swing shift) you don't have that luxury.
S and I have made it work well. S has been working a lot these past few months and, before that, I was picking up several extra shifts as well. It has become a huge deal for Bean and Boy when they get both parents home at the same time!
The other night Bean asked if we could see daddy in the phone (ie Facetime.) She then proceeded to make funny faces at him the whole time. (S is going to love that I'm posting this picture on here...)
I love the relationship that Bean has with her daddy. Later in the week S took Bean on a date to see Inside Out. It was a little thing, but it meant the world to her. It's been 25 years, but I still remember the morning my dad came in to tell me that he was going to take me to see The Little Mermaid after he got home from work. It's the little things we do in our kids' lives that make the biggest impressions.

No comments:
Post a Comment