I told several people this year that I think that Independence Day is my favorite holiday. As an adult I've come to appreciate this holiday, not only for what it means for our country to have freedoms, but that it is such a relaxed, zero preparation day. It's possible the only holiday I can think of that I simply sit back and enjoy it.
This year wasn't much different from years past: we woke up super early (super early for a bunch of people who are used to sleeping in) and went to watch the Murray Parade.
The difference between this year and last time we brought Boy was huge! We just kind of sat back and watched the kids do their thing. And when the parade was over we retaught Boy that you don't run out into the middle of the road or accept candy from strangers. I'm sure he was thoroughly confused...
We were pretty hot and sticky at that point so we decided to go back and jump in G/G H's pool. It was the very best part of my day. It felt So. Good.
After a barbecue lunch I had to come to work...which wasn't half bad. I think I've made mention that I don't mind working holiday afternoons after everything has died down. A few hours into my shift, a huge rainstorm hit the center of the valley. I went outside and just...smelled the air. We are coming into my very favorite time of year--hot, sunny mornings and cloudy, rainy afternoons!
I'm not sure I can entirely define why, but I have felt incredibly patriotic these past few weeks--almost to the point of being emotional. You always hear people say how grateful they are for our founding fathers and those that have died to protect our freedoms...but do we ever stop and think about those words as we say them? Even today the fact that I have my own corner of the internet to freely speak my thoughts is a luxury that others don't have. I am very, very grateful for my citizenship in this country and the freedom and blessings that my family and I have been given.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Ok, I have to say I have been doing some blog catching up (not stacking ;) and thumbed through yours today. I know you are probably blogging for personal history preservation or keeping up with family living away, but I have to say I always feel so uplifted and grateful you are sharing your story. I love taking a peak into your mind for a minute and am reminded of how blessed I have been to acquaint myself with strong, inspiring friends, like you.
Post a Comment